Squires break even in four-game battle with Oak Hill

by Gary Andrews

Saturday was Manchester's annual four-game clash with Oak Hill, as the host Squires went 2-2 on the day, winning both boys games while falling in the girls’ games.

The junior varsity girls got things going first with the Lady Squires trailing 16-10 at the half before falling 29-20.

Leading  Manchester was Emily Haecker with 4 points. Hanna Olk, and Bailey Sewell added 3 points each.  Bethany Collett, Rae Bedke, Kaitlyn Andritsch, Brooklyn Howard and Tiffany Johnson had 2 points each. Haecker would add 4 rebounds and 2 steals. Sewell had 3 rebounds and 1 steal. Thompson added 1 assist.

Next up was the junior varsity boys who dominated the first half, leading 22-12.  The Squires went on to handle the Eagles 47-28.

Leading the Squires was Bailey Ness with 10 points. David McAtee and Austin Brewer added 9 points each. Zach Hill had 6, Keelan Norwood 5, Matthew Pegg 4, Kane Gable 2, Levi Hicks 2.

In the girls varsity game, the Lady Squires jumped out to a 2-0 lead on a bucket from Cierra Carter and again had the lead 4-2 on two free throws from Tabby DeWitt and 6-4 on a bucket from DeWitt. Oak Hill would then go on a 7-0 run to go up 11-6 when Sydney Snep hit. Manchester trailed 12-8 at the first stop.

Oak Hill would extend their lead to 14-8 to start the second quarter before DeWitt hit to make it 14-10. The Eagles would increase their lead to 18-10 when DeWitt hit again. Down 20-12 Kaitlyn Parrett would find the bottom of the bucket, followed by a free throw from Emily Haecker to make it 20-15. Oak Hill would get the final bucket of the half and led 22-15.

Oak Hill would extend their lead to 26-15 to start the third quarter before DeWitt and Celina Carter hit to make it 26-19. An Oak Hill bucket and two free throws from DeWitt made it 28-21 when the Eagles hit three buckets in a row, one a three pointer to increase their lead to 34-21. The Lady Squires refused to give in, getting buckets from DeWitt and kept the deficit at 9 to the end of the quarter. Manchester trailed 38-29 after three.

The fourth quarter was a free throw fest for Oak Hill, as they scored the first 17 points of the quarter, 9 on free throws as they pulled away from Manchester to lead 55-29 before the Squires scored. Tabby DeWitt would get a bucket and the Squires got two free throws from Celina Carter to make the final score 60-33.

Leading Manchester was Tabby DeWitt with 16 points. Cierra Carter added 6, Celina Carter 4, Kaitlyn Parrett 4, Sydney Snep 2, Emily Haecker 1.

The varsity boys would be the final game of the night and they needed a win to even the night in a 2-2 tie. Manchester led at every stop on their way to a 58-49 win over the Eagles to improve to 2-0 on the season.

Clayton Petrie got the Squires going with a three that put Manchester up 3-1, then a second three from Cameron Brandenburg to lead 6-3. Oak Hill matched the second three with one of their own to make it 6-6 and with the score tied at 7 the Squires would get their third three of the quarter, this time from Claudell Dickantone to lead 10-7 and led 10-9 at the stop.

Manchester had the early hot hand in the second quarter with Brandenburg hitting  free throw that was followed by a Dickantone bucket and a steal for a bucket from Chase Fierstos to lead 15-9. The Eagles would score after a time out, but the Squires remained hot. Brandenburg would connect from behind the arch again and Dickantone followed with a bucket as they increased their lead to 20-11. Up 22-16 Petrie would convert two free throws and Braydon Sewell would drain a two as the Squires led 25-16 at the half.

Oak Hill would have the hot hand and make a run to start the third quarter. The Eagles would score the first 9 points of the quarter to knot the game at 25 before the Squires found the bucket. Claudell Dickantone gave Manchester a brief 27-25 lead before the Eagles hit two straight to lead 29-27. Down 32-28 after an Oak Hill three Manchester went to work. The Squires got a three and two free throws from Clayton Petrie and later a steal for a bucket from Dickantone to lead 35-32. Oak Hill would hit at the buzzer and Manchester led 35-34 with a quarter to go.

Chase Fierstos would get a bucket off a steal to start the scoring in the fourth and after an Eagle bucket it was 37-35. With Clayton Petrie having the hot hand in the third, the Squires found him again with Petrie hitting a free throw and a three to put Manchester up 41-35. The Eagles would claw their way back in to the game and with under three minutes closed the gap to 46-42. With the Squires milking the clock the Eagles started to foul. Petrie would hit one free throw and with 1:56 remaining Dickantone would sink two more for a 50-42 lead. Continuing to foul, Oak Hill had the lead cut to 51-47 with under a minute to go when things changed. Brandenburg would hit a free throw and the Squires increased defensive pressure to force an over and back. An Oak Hill foul with Fierstos hitting two freebies made it 54-47 with 43.8 on the clock. The Squires made a stop on a Branden Scott steal with Oak Hill fouling Scott with 27.1 left. Scott would convert both free throws to make it 56-47 and later hit two more for the 58-49 final.

Leading Manchester was Claudell Dickantone with 17 points. Clayton Petrie added 15, Chase Fierstos 8, Cameron Brandenburg 8, Braydon Sewell 5, Branden Scott 5.

Posted on 2013 Dec 03