North Manchester bank robbed, suspect commits suicide

Provided by the North Manchester News Journal

A North Manchester bank robbery ended with the suicide of the suspect on the night of Friday, Jan. 24.

Shortly before 6 p.m., David John Mills, 22, Columbia City, armed with a handgun, entered First Financial Bank on 106 N. Market Street in North Manchester and demanded money.

Moments later, Mills exited the bank with approximately $14,000, according to Sergeant Tony Slocum, Public Information Officer for the Indiana State Police Peru Post.

“Mills entered the bank just before closing time (6 p.m.) on Friday with a handgun and ordered the five people inside to lay down on the floor, which they did. After ordering the teller to give him money, Mills fled the bank with the money,” Sergeant Slocum said. “As he was leaving the scene by bicycle, someone outside that witnessed the incident followed him and called 911. The witness reported that the suspect put his bicycle in the back of a Ford Ranger pickup truck and was traveling north on SR 13; he continued to follow Mills until a Manchester police officer caught up and took over the pursuit.”

The North Manchester police officer, still yet to be named, followed Millls on SR 13 until Mills stopped near the intersection of State Road 14. Mill refused to exit the vehicle. Moments later, a firearm was discharged from inside the pickup truck.

Officers from South Whitley Police Department arrived shortly afterwards and approached the vehicle, along with the North Manchester officer and determined that Mills was suffering from a gunshot wound.

Emergency personnel responded to the scene, but immediately summoned the Kosciusko County Coroner’s Office. Kosciusko County Coroner Michael Wilson arrived and pronounced Mills deceased from injuries that appeared to be consistent to self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

Nobody from First Financial Bank was injured.

“First Financial Bank’s first concern is always for the safety of our clients and associates,” said Tom McGill, First Financial Bank retail banking director. “We are grateful to report that no one was injured during the incident. Because of the ongoing investigation, it would be inappropriate for us to provide further details.”

Posted on 2014 Feb 04