by Sandy Johnson
Thirteen beauties lined the street in front of the Wabash County Historical Museum on Saturday, September 13. As part of International Model ‘A’ Ford Day, Tom Louten from Andrews organized a group to drive into Wabash in their Model A Ford cars, tour the museum, and enjoy a meal at Harvey Hinklemeyers.
The antique autos drew the attention of many curious onlookers. Some stopped to peek inside the cars, while others drove by and took pictures. The Model A Ford cars, produced in the years 1928-1931, were painted different colors, including shades of green and red, as well as tan and black. Each vehicle had its own unique character, depending on the style and what personal touches its owners provided.
The 18th annual Wabash Kiwanis Club Bucket Brigade for Riley Children’s Hospital will be held Saturday, Sept. 20 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This year the Kiwanis will be located outside six local stores including Kroger, Bechtol, Wal-Mart, Big R, Walgreens and Save-A-Lot.
Wabash Kiwanis members along with Wabash and Northfield Key Club members will be accepting donations that will be sent to Riley. This year, the Indianapolis Colts have again joined with the Wabash Kiwanis Club project by donating a Colts backpack containing several Colts items.
USDA Indiana Farm Service Agency Executive Director Julia A. Wickard recently announced that starting Sept. 2, farmers are able to enroll in the new dairy Margin Protection Program. The voluntary program, established by the 2014 Farm Bill, provides financial assistance to participating farmers when the margin – the difference between the price of milk and feed costs – falls below the coverage level selected by the farmer.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture also launched a new web tool to help producers determine the level of coverage under the Margin Protection Program that will provide them with the strongest safety net under a variety of conditions. The online resource, available at fsa.usda.gov/mpptool, allows dairy farmers to quickly and easily combine unique operation data and other key variables to calculate their coverage needs based on price projections. Producers can also review historical data or estimate future coverage based on data projections. The secure site can be accessed via computer, Smartphone, tablet or any other platform, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Development of the online resource was led by the University of Illinois, in partnership with the USDA and the Program on Dairy Markets and Policy (DMaP). DMaP partners include the University of Illinois, the University of Wisconsin, Cornell University, Pennsylvania State University, the University of Minnesota, Ohio State University and Michigan State University.
I just returned from a getaway trip to Florida. If you are over 50 and have never been on a retreat with just your girlfriends, I highly recommend it. It is just good for your soul. A trip without husbands, children or grandchildren can be total bliss.
I have been making this recipe for coconut shrimp for many years now. The apricot dipping sauce is what makes this shrimp so yummy. Although it is not quite as good as the coconut shrimp we had on Lido Beach, it is a close contender.
The Woman’s Clubhouse, listed on the National Registry of Historical Places, will celebrate its 125th birthday of the building on Sept. 27 and 28 from 1-4 p.m., by presenting representations of the three uses of the building. More than 50 presenters will be in period costumes, telling the story of the orphanage, the hospital and the clubhouse. This building represents an important evolution of the history and care of individuals in Wabash County.
Originally, the property on which the clubhouse sits was given in a land grant to Chief Charley of the Miami Indians. In 1856, he deeded about 10 acres to the Agricultural Society of Wabash for the fairgrounds. The county received the 10 acres for a city park in 1888.
In 1889, the State Legislature authorized all Indiana counties to build orphan’s homes. The Hipskind Brothers of Wabash received the contract to build a building and it opened in August 1891 for 47 children. Mrs. Ora Jones was the first matron. In 1903, it became cheap to house the children at White’s Institute and the Orphan’s Home was closed.
In 1903, Miss Roser and two other nurses leased the building for a hospital. They were plagued by financial management and staff problems. In 1913, Dr. James Wilson and Dr. Gilbert LaSalle leased the building for a county hospital called Park Hospital.
In 1921, the hospital closed after 18 years and a new county hospital was build on East Street. The building stood vacant until 1930.
Editor’s Note: This is the third in a series of nine articles outlining each of the proposed projects included in this year’s Stellar Communities application.
by Eric Stearley
A decade ago, downtown Wabash was lackluster. Many old buildings, which once housed thriving businesses, were vacated and in a state of disrepair.
“When you drive through a town, that first opinion, that first thing you see, is the impression you get, and something had to be done with that in our downtown,” said Mayor Robert Vanlandingham. “We had old buildings, and they were in need of help. Marketplace stepped in and has just done a heck of a job.”
Four years ago, Wabash Marketplace awarded grant money to building owners looking to improve the façades of their buildings. It was a catalyst for the remodeling of Charley Creek Inn, Eagles Theatre, and nearly two-dozen other buildings
Downtown building owner Lisa Gillman took advantage of the program, using the grant as part of larger project to remodel the buildings at 41 and 47 West Market Street. Since completion, two new businesses, Lost Treasures in Tyme and Bash Boutique, have opened. The second floor of both buildings was remodeled, creating two luxury apartments. An open house is scheduled Sept. 25 from 5-8 p.m.
All told, the $174,000 grant total leveraged more than $30 million in downtown investment and brought over 100 jobs to Wabash. With the help of the Stellar Communities designation, Phase 2 will be much bigger.
by Eric Stearley
In true Wabash fashion, three organizations are collaborating to offer a constructive environment with healthy food to students after school. The Access Youth Center, which provides a safe place for kids after school, was recently approved as an off-campus site for Wabash City Schools’ afterschool snack program. In addition, the Wabash Rotary Club recently applied for a grant, which will be used to purchase a commercial freezer and refrigerator to store food at The Access.
“Studies show that the most dangerous time for any kid is the time between when school lets out and mom and dad get home,” said Wabash High School Principal Josh Blossom. “There’s really hardly any supervision at all, and if we can insure that they’re here with people that care about them and getting something to eat, that means they’re going to be safe.”
The Access started an afterschool program almost five years ago. Open from 3:45-5 p.m., students of all ages head toward the downtown building to hang out with friends, play games, get help with homework, and get a snack.
“It started out with us having six to eight kids a day,” said Executive Director Liz Hobbs.
“If we had 10 kids, we thought that was great, and one day we had 15 about three or four months into it, and we thought, ‘Oh my gosh, we’ve got 15 kids in here!” Assistant Director Laura Helm added.
“And now, our two-month average is 38 kids per day, and the six-month average is 31, so we’ve seen a huge increase in that amount of time,” said Hobbs.
Wabash County Chamber of Commerce Board Chair Lance Agness recently announced Schlemmer Brothers Metalworks as the 2014 Business of the Year.
“We recognize their longstanding dedication to Wabash County and their ongoing support and investment within our community,” said Agnes. “Schlemmers’ continued business growth and expansions in recent years has helped enhance our downtown area and benefited many within our region. Please help us celebrate and honor Schlemmer Brothers as our 2014 Business of the Year.”
In 1903, John Schlemmer opened an implement, harness, and buggy business at 108 and 114 West Canal Street. He was joined in the business shortly thereafter by his brother, Jacob. Five years later, two more brothers, Clarence and George, rented the east room on the second floor of the building and opened a sheet metal shop, which they called Schlemmer Brothers. They eventually bought the implement, harness, and buggy business from John and Jacob and added a line of hardware.
In 1931, George became ill and Clarence bought his half of the business. Clarence’s son, Elton, came on board in 1936 and served as salesman for a new line of appliances that had been added to the retail mix, including washers, dryers, refrigerators, and small appliances.
In 1945, two more of Clarence’s sons, Byron and Sam, returned to Wabash, and with their brother Elton, bought the business from their father. The three brothers operated the business together until 1955, when Sam sold his one-third interest to Byron and Elton in order to open Sam’s Sport Shop on Market Street in Wabash.
<< Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 Next >>